
It's late as I drive home in the pitch black night with only the dim street lights guiding my way. There are a throng of vehicles on the road, but it is Sunday night and tomorrow is a state holiday in Hawaii, so many of us have taken advantage of this. As I accelerate to 65 mph, wanting to go faster, I casually take note of the cars around me. I wonder where their drivers are coming from and if they are capable to drive at this late hour. There is a black, sporty Honda in front of me with its left taillight out. I wonder if the Honda's owner knows this. We are both in the middle lane with cars on both sides of us. The Honda suddenly puts its right signal light on smoothly glides into the right lane. I wonder where the dark Honda is coming from and where it is headed as the moonlight gleams off of its hood.
I continue to drive and see that I have three more miles to go before I arrive home. Since the white Honda has changed lanes, he is out of my sight and next up is a large burgundy truck with six people sitting in the bed. I always worry about people sitting in the back of trucks at this time of night. People tend to be tired, drunk, or careless on the road. As my car lunges forward a little more, I see that the people in the back of truck are young, likely teenagers. Better yet, one of the males looks like he has a tuxedo on. It reminds me that it is prom season and these kids are hopefully headed home. I begin to reminisce about my own rides home from prom and wonder if these kids will be home by their curfew or be grounded again. Prom was one of my best high school memories. Getting dressed up, dancing like crazy, and spending time with friends as your school year begins to culminate.
My exit is right ahead. I put my right signal on and double-check, triple-check my blindspots before I veer to the right. Only a few more minutes until I reach my long awaited destination. Heading home is always a great feeling. As I pull into my garage, I wonder where all the cars still out on the highway are coming from and headed to. Strangers in the night. Where are you headed?
I often wonder about the other cars on the road, who is heading out? who is heading home? How as their day? it is an interesting way to pass the time
ReplyDeleteIt is always amazing to me when I am on the road at weird times, why other people are on the road then as well. Are we all heading to or from the airport? It also amazes me at the number of cars on the road at any given point in time. It is so weird to know there is pretty much a whole world on the opposite schedule as myself... :) I enjoyed the details in your post, both of the descriptions of scene, and thought.
ReplyDeleteYour details are so vivid, I feel like I'm there too. I've wondered the same thing. When I leave my house at 5:15 a.m. and head to the gym for my morning workout, I wonder where all the people are going so early in the morning. I assume most are going to work. What about the others? I'll be wondering about this again tomorrow morning:)
ReplyDeleteYou brought back memories from years of commuting and what a great feeling it was to pull in the garage after a long drive. Now when I drive, I'm always watching for people on their phones and wondering if they are paying attention. I could visualize the cars around you as you were driving. Great description.
ReplyDeleteYou brought back memories from years of commuting and what a great feeling it was to pull in the garage after a long drive. Now when I drive, I'm always watching for people on their phones and wondering if they are paying attention. I could visualize the cars around you as you were driving. Great description.
ReplyDelete