Thursday, March 22, 2012

Slippery When Wet

The first album I ever owned was Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet. It was released in 1986, and my parents gave me the cassette tape for a Christmas present. I was quite young when I was listening to Bon Jovi; much younger than most Bon Jovi fans at the time. I had two older sisters, so I listened to a lot of the music they were interested in. My friends probably had no idea who the heck Bon Jovi was. 

My favorite song was You Give Love A Bad Name, and I still know every single lyric by heart, 26 years later. I remember that Bon Jovi came to Honolulu for a concert, and my sister and cousin were lucky enough to go. My mom drove them to the concert, and of course I had to go along for the ride, wishing that  I could join them. I felt like I had a social disease because I was too young to go to the concert. As years passed by, I was never without love for Bon Jovi, and I was livin' on a prayer to see them live. They are a timeless rock band; even the TLC reality t.v. show, Deadliest Catch, uses the song Wanted Dead or Alive for its opener. Of course, I upgraded my cassette tape to a CD because I would never say goodbye to such a classic album. It is one of those albums that brings back memories when you listen to it and can make you go wild in the streets as you sing along. Finally, in 2010, Bon Jovi came back to Honolulu for a December concert. My husband and I were scheduled to catch a red-eye to San Francisco that same evening, but I didn't care. Bon Jovi, I'd die for you, so squeezing in a live concert prior to hopping on a plane was well worth it! We had to make sure we would make our flight, so my parents dropped us off at the concert and then picked us up and drove straight to the airport. They were excited that I finally had the opportunity to see Bon Jovi live and told us, "raise your hands and have fun!" I felt like I was in high school... especially with my mother and father driving us. We let it rock and had an amazing time. I still have the video I recorded of Bon Jovi performing my favorite song, and if you listen closely, you can hear me singing completely out of tune. 


The original You Give Love A Bad Name music video. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Could totally feel your excitement especially in how you described your parents driving you and your husband to the concert (like they would have when you were younger).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just listened to some Bon Jovi on my iPod today! For me, these songs evoke memories of roller skating at the roller rink as a kid. How corny is that? I am so happy you got permission to raise your hands and have fun! That is the best!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your inspiration.