
Majority of the time it is pretty simple for us to say, "Thank you," when we receive a kind gesture or a gift. Most people are also fairly comfortable with telling their loved ones, "I love you." But, saying "I am sorry," or "I forgive you," can be quite challenging for most of us. Asking for forgiveness for matters of the heart requires us to show humility and let go of our pride. It is difficult for me because I am admitting that I am wrong and caused someone else to hurt. I think you need to be truly ready to ask for forgiveness from someone because it is not about just saying "I'm sorry," but it requires a change in behavior in order to demonstrate that your apology was genuine.
Being able to forgive someone for causing you to hurt, is equally challenging. For me, being able to forgive someone is having the ability to forget the hurt they caused you, as well. I have always believed that although granting forgiveness is tough, forgetting is even tougher. Some forgive, but don't forget. I am not sure if this is a true sign of forgiveness? However, holding on to something that affected us IS human nature. But why forgive, if one cannot forget?
I think back to things I have done that hurt others. To those who I asked forgiveness from, have they truly forgiven me? I also think back to things people have done to me to cause hurt. Although I said that I forgave them, did I mean it? Was I able to let go and move forward?
Forgiveness is a complicated thing; however, I think that allowing forgiveness to become a common part of your life can make each of us stronger and capable of love.
Oh this was so needed for me to read today. Thank you. Forgiveness is coomplicated but powerful.
ReplyDeleteForgiveness is definitely tough. My friend once told me that you will know you have truly forgiven someone when it doesn't hurt anymore. That was a real eye opener for me. Thanks for the reminder of forgiveness.
ReplyDelete❤First Grade Delight❤
imgoingfirst@gmail.com
A forgiving person is very special indeed. Thanks for pushing my thinking on this today.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the ending...seeing how forgveness brings something better.
ReplyDelete