"To write something, you have to risk making a fool of yourself."
- Anne Rice
As soon as I read the nugget of inspiration that Ruth posted for Slice 12, I knew what I was going to write about. Thank you, Ruth!
This is my first SOLC, in fact, this in my first time participating in any SOL. For the past year, I have read people's slices, but never took the risk myself. Until this March. Anne Rice's quote resonates with me because I am quite timid when it comes to writing my daily slice and clicking on "Post." My writing talent pretty much exists in the research paper writing genre, and I could cite using APA format with my eyes closed (without a citation generator, of course!). But when it comes to creative writing or writing about my daily life experiences, I am very intimidated.
I consider myself quite the amateur writer. Yes, I am an English teacher. Yes, I share my writing with my students. And yes, I can write emails like a madwoman; however, sharing my daily thoughts, ideas, and random musing with the SOL community is a whole new adventure. Here are the things I think too much about prior to clicking on "Post."
- Will people be interested in my writing pieces?
- Are there sounds of laughter (not the good kind) filling cyberspace as bloggers read my posts?
- Did I write, phrase, spell, or say that properly?
So I sit here typing (and typing very quickly might I add), sharing without timidity or fear of what others may think about my writing because all that really matters is that I am participating, giving it my best, and sharing as I develop as a writer.
Happy Monday!

Is it just me or does your blog have a new look today? That pic of your child (?) in the stroller behind a book is precious...but it used to be on the right hand side of your blog, right?
ReplyDeleteI love the new look! I am so happy you took the risk this year. Your words have a refreshing honesty and rawness to them. Your inner questions before clicking the "post" button are a lot more universal than you might think!
Thank you for the encouragement, Christy! And yes, my blog is always being tweaked. That is my daughter "reading" one of her first Dr. Seuss books from the library. We snapped that pic just in time, right before she tried to eat it!
DeleteYour questions are being echoed all through the web as bloggers click Publish. Yes, people will be interested in your pieces. Yes, there are sounds of laughter when laughter is required. There are also sounds of "Oh dear" and hearts hurting after reading some posts. Yes, your phrasing, spelling (we all make typos) and grammar is correct. Now, feel free to write!
ReplyDeleteI have the same concerns. But I am interested in your pieces, not laughing and it looks pretty good to me :) I'm very sure the A-z challenge will give us so much practice that we will get over these little concerns by the end of the month :)
ReplyDeleteNikki – inspire nordic
Oh this resonates with me:
ReplyDelete"Did I write, phrase, spell, or say that properly?"
This is my first year to slice as well.