NOOOOOOOO! Please go back to bed. Please. Please. Please. This is my personal mother's mantra as I lie in bed with my eyes still shut, praying to every god out there that my one-year old will grant my wish and go back to sleep for a few more hours in her own crib. It is not that I do not want to go get her and rock her back to sleep; I don't want to be setting some precedent for when she turns nine years old and still wants her mommy to help her fall asleep (like I did when I was nine!).I am assuming that this is a familiar scenario to many mothers AND fathers out there. It is too early to wake up with the baby, and we want to get a couple more hours more of sleep...BUT, the only way the baby is going to go back to sleep is if we bring her into our bed where we know she'll be out like a light again in a heartbeat...BUT, oh! We are setting ourselves up for trouble down the road! The baby will not want to sleep in the crib...oh no, now she won't sleep in her big girl bed! Whether it is the Ferber method (Cry It Out!) or the Dr. Sears method (cuddle, cuddle, tend to their tiniest whimper), a parent will never get the rest they did prior to having kids.
I think I'll go get her and tuck her into bed with me and my snoring husband. Until tomorrow...

When I started to read this, I thought it was going a different way. I was surprised and you had me remembering our own children at a young age. You are right...mom's and dad's struggle to know what is right for their kids. Just because it is in a book does not mean it will work for your family. Some kids are in much more need of cuddle than others.
ReplyDeleteThey almost always sleep through the night in their own beds before the teenage years! This stage now is just practice for that stage!
ReplyDeleteOh how I remember that chant! It was when they finally slept for 4 hours straight that I felt like a sane person again. I appreciated how you shared the internal dialogue, showing the struggle. I would tell my husband, "Don't move." It seemed like even his breathing was so loud and all I wanted was a bit more sleep! Thanks for bringing back this memory.
ReplyDeleteI also thought it was a different reason for sleep deprivation.... getting older! So enjoy that the reason you are not sleeping. . . your adorable daughter!
ReplyDeleteYou brought back sweet memories! As a parent, I remember well not getting enough sleep and how difficult that time was! Oh gosh, especially when you have to be at school the next day to face those children who also have so many needs! I agree with Lynn. Enjoy that cuddle time!
ReplyDeleteI have 4 grown girls but I remember those days of no sleep. Somehow you keep going. Take one day at a time. I must say it is for the young! They grow so fast, take time for a nap if she does.
ReplyDeletetrying again...it is gone in a blink....and then your daughter will have a daughter and ask "was I like this?" and you'll say....it is gone in a blink....
ReplyDeleteThank you for all your wonderful comments!
ReplyDeleteI enjoy hearing the similar experiences, and the words of wisdom from those of you who are either currently experiencing sleepless nights or have successfully journeyed through your child-rearing days!
No matter how much or how little rest I get, it is all worth it when you wake up to an innocent, beaming smile.
I adopted my boys at 7 and 9, so I missed all of the no sleep years (OK, until they started driving and now we are right back in them, staying up until midnight when they have to be home). I will echo everyone else, though, and say it goes super fast and then they are headed out into the big wide world and you are wishing they were sleeping in your bed,or at least under your roof!
ReplyDelete