My husband and I bought a townhouse in a rural area on Oahu, 20 miles outside of the city of Honolulu in July 2011. People frown at us when we tell them where we live because the drive into the city for work and back home in the afternoon has a reputation that could rival L.A. traffic during rush hour... well, maybe not that bad. We actually really enjoy living away from the hectic city and away from some of our meddling family members. (I kid!) However, I think I am starting to suffer from buyer's remorse. Because of the traffic, you ask? No, no, no.Because there is no bookstore within a 5-mile radius!
I think this is a travesty. There is a library nearby... very nearby, like 10-minute walk nearby. I appreciate this and do take advantage of it, but I have to admit. I want to own my reading material. I love to read. I want to be able to spill coffee on my books. I want to be able to circle words and figurative language that catches my attention. I want my one-year old daughter to be able to chew on the pages indiscriminately and tear pages because she doesn't understand what "gentle" means, yet. I want to be able to put my book down, open-faced, so the spine will eventually fall apart. I don't want to worry about "library book borrowing etiquette." I want to take my time reading my book without worrying about due dates or renewals. I don't want to receive notices from a collection agency about library fines. (My credit card company doesn't even send me those!)
Sure, I could order online from that giant online superstore named after a South American rainforest. But I have tons of gift cards to actual bookstores! Hey, I'm an English teacher, those are the types of gifts I receive from my students at the end of the school year! Give me my capitalist corporate bookstore, please! Even people in rural communities like to read! Whatever happened to "if you build it, they will come!?!"
I live in a tiny community as well but I buy my books online. It can be a pain but when my books arrive it's like Christmas. Gifts I can't wait to open. You live in a beautiful country.
ReplyDeleteI live in an area where there are no book stores nearby too! However, there are several book stores that I CAN pass (if I get off the interestate roads and parkways) on my 100+ mile daily commute. I am reading through my Kindle and Google book APPS on my Asus Prime these days; howeveer, I still love walking through book stores...the potential joy in all those pages is a feeling that you can not replace!
ReplyDeleteThank you for making us think about bookstore this morning
100+ mile commute?!? Drive safely :)
DeleteI love book stores too but since there are none nearby...I use my Nook if I need a quick fix. No I can't write in it and no I can't bend its spine back but I have learned to enjoy it anyway for fiction. Non-fiction is a different story. I seem to need the book in my hands so I can highlight, write notes, and refer to it because I can remember where to look! We have lost two bookstores in our area in a very short amount of time. I hear your pain...but what a beautiful place to live:)
ReplyDeleteI bet realtors don't always talk about "access to book stores" but I hear you -- It would be difficult to live in a place where local book stores were not in close proximity.
ReplyDeleteKevin
I feel for you! No bookstore close? That's so sad. I do love the convenience of the internet when I know what I want, but sometimes I have to read it first to decide does this need to live with me.
ReplyDeleteBookstores are becoming scarce all over. I have always dreamed of having one of my own. Have you?
ReplyDeleteI have! It would be a cozy little place with an annual SOLSC get together!
DeleteI hear you. I do like to take my time and go back and forth when reading a book. I hate being held to a 2-3 week period of time especially if I love a book. I recently purchased a Kindle. It was curiousity, being savvy about new technology, and maybe saving some money. I'm finding out that I miss my real books. I can't go back and forth freely to find things, and prices continue to go up for Kindle books. Ilove looking at the covers over and over. No, real books are here to stay.
ReplyDeleteAfter all this conversation about bookstores, I'll be staying in town a little later today so I can frolic and play at the mall where they have a B&N. YAY!
ReplyDeleteBookstores are a must. They do seem to be a dying species, sad. Nothing better than finding a book, a chair and reading in the bookstore.
ReplyDeleteThanks for giving us a glimpse into your daily life and your love for reading. Yes, bookstores are wonderful. I do not have one nearby, but I do use the library a lot. Having the book as my own is the best ever. I am with you. :)
ReplyDeleteYou know you're a book lover when you have buyer's remorse because their isn't a bookstore close enough. You may need to setup shop. :)
ReplyDeleteI love books and there's no bookstore within 45 minutes of my house. Amazon.com and Amazon prime are my friends. I do worry that my Kindle will take away from my occasional visits to my favorite book store..
ReplyDeleteThere is something about walking into a bookstore and being able to flip through the books and actually turn the pages. I love a good kids section in a bookstore with stuffed animals connected to the books they keep company with! I also love looking at the stationary and journals.
ReplyDeleteI love books too. Both children's books and books for adult readers. There is something special about holding a book and turning the pages. Since I'm a bit techy, I also enjoy reading books electronically. Bookstores are a favorite hang-out for me as well. All this talk about books is putting me in the mood to grab one of my new purchases. I've been to Oahu, it's a beautiful place to call home. Thanks for sharing your slice.
ReplyDelete