Friday, March 30, 2012

My mom's wig

If you happened to read one of my first slices earlier in March, you would know that my mom has breast cancer. She completed her second round of chemotherapy this past week and is doing well. Her spirits are high and she believes wholeheartedly in maintaining a positive attitude. She calls it her "health hurdle." Today, she shaved the patches of hair that did not fall out yet. She was very concerned about losing her hair because she felt that this would clearly identify her as someone with cancer to those whom she may not have wanted to talk to about it with. It was also a vanity issue as well, who wants to lose their hair?

Today turned out to be an amazing day for my mom. She received a wig from a well-known local hairstylist who specializes in helping those who lose their hair from cancer. My mom loves her wig and it looks fantastic on her. She was able to obtain one that held that special "salt and pepper" color, similar to her natural hair. My mom is ecstatic because her natural hair was becoming very thin, and the wig is nice and full. She says that she will continue using it even after chemo and when her hair grows back!

I was concerned that it would be an emotional day for her, and I am sure it was, but not in the way I imagined. It was emotional for me because I was able to witness once more, the truly strong woman that my mother is. She is a living example to me and my sisters, and my daughter, that whatever adversities we may need to face throughout our lives, it is unnecessary to allow them to keep us from making each day our best day. An inspiration. Deep breath.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I sense that you are really so proud of your mom! Your post is a testment to that!
    Prayers for her and you!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart loved this line, "I was concerned that it would be an emotional day for her, and I am sure it was, but not in the way I imagined" and the images of mothers and daughters that follow. Prayers for her continued healing and peace to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, deep breath. It's hard to know what to expect when going through and supporting those we love in these situations. I'm sure you have been a big part of her maintaining her "Health Hurdle!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, the grace with which you write about your mother's cancer is inspirational. She is clearly an incredible woman to have raised a writer, teacher, daughter, mother, wife, reader, friend like you! I feel lucky to have "met" you through this challenge and I hope to continue to read about your journey as well as your mother's treatment and healing beyond the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your inspiration.