Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Chaos resumes!

     The excitement in the air was contagious today! The only way I can properly describe it is with the word CHAOTIC. A good chaos, though. So many stories to be told and listened to as my seventh graders returned to school from their week-long spring break. My students even wanted to hear about my break! Normally, I would have them settle down and use homeroom time to get focused for their day, but they were so enthused to see one another that I knew that would be too much to ask. Ultimately causing me to be the only one frustrated. So we talked, all at one time, but of course that's how seventh graders communicate, so they didn't mind. I could barely keep my head on straight attempting to attentively listen to everyone's adventures or lack thereof, so I smiled, nodded, and replied, "That's awesome!" I knew I would have the opportunity to enjoy each student's stories throughout the week. We decided to share our spring break adventures through writing; a poem, a story, a skit, one student wanted to create a powerpoint presentation because he had all of his pictures from his spring break with him.
     Last night, I was dreading the high-pitched alarm clock waking me to face the dark morning light and having to drag myself to work while keeping my cool through traffic. Little did I know that as soon as I arrived on campus and saw a few of my students, my attitude went from pessimistic to optimistic! I was ecstatic to be back. A week without my students can be lonely. I miss their smiles, their struggles, and the amazingly silly things they say. It's good to be back. I'm a sucker for chaos.

11 comments:

  1. How adorable! Thanks for stopping by, I'm so glad I found your blog. It would be cool reading about life from a history teacher's perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! It's so great to hear about teachers who really love their kids. Sounds like yours are pretty fantastic. Looking forward to more a-z posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely feel the same way about my students coming back from Break! There's an energy they bring that is so contagious.. Yay :)
    Thanks for stopping by yesterday!
    ~AJ @ frodofrog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My students are getting excited for holidays to start. I don't know if preparing for holidays is more chaotic than the return. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always chaotic after a return from break? Teaching the day after Halloween is worse, though. LOL! The energy that bounces around is fun, though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I don't know how you teachers do it. I've got 2 kids, and it's enough chaos for me...

    I need a certain amount of tranquility, or I get very surly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad teachers like you enjoy being with several middle schoolers at once. When my three kids begin talking at once, I have to settle them to share in a managable chorus. Glad you will be able to capture each story through their writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Mandy: I just found you on Team Tina! Your blog is awesome. I have a great respect for teachers. I have had teachers that changed my life and whom I remember to this day. Your baby girl is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always said 7th grade teachers deserve hazard pay. :) I do writing with my local community college, and the stories those teachers tell are funny and chaotic too--so I guess it takes kids time to grow up. See you around the A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw. I always loved that week after spring break too. It does sound chaotic but how fun to share in their excitement!

    Anna@ Herding Cats & Burning Soup

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your inspiration.